At some point, most householders will think about this. Or maybe updating the kitchen. They then might want to put in new LED lighting and start thinking about drilling holes in the ceiling.
At this point, stop!
Is your ceiling artexed?
If so, it may well contain asbestos.
Asbestos is a hazardous substance that causes ill-health to anyone who disturbs or damages it. Once disturbed, minuscule asbestos fibres are released into the air, which are then inhaled and have the potential to cause serious long-term damage to people’s health.
One of the key uses for asbestos was in textured coatings, like Artex, which were used to create decorative finishes on ceilings and walls. It was particularly popular in the 1970s and 1980s.
So before you start stripping down ceiling, & cutting it apart willy-nilly, just think of the possible dangers involved. You may want to check it first, which can cost as little as £35.
Here are some useful links for more information:
So, be warned!